Thursday, March 11, 2010

Nervous but never too nervous to eat

How do I feel on my first day off the cleanse?

It's the same way you feel when you turn 22. I remember once when I was 22 and someone asked, "How old are you?" And I just responded, "21." I didn't even realize it until many hours later that I might have been wrong. I looked at the year and pulled out my calculator and lo and behold I was 22 and forgot about it.

At work, one of my volunteers, Gloria, asked if I had gluten today. I forgot that I wanted to have gluten today. I already prepared my lunch for the day and continued to have my usual snacks of fruits, nuts and avocados. Well... I more than compensated for my memory lapse over dinner.

I saw this wonderful calzone at Whole Foods and was told it was stuffed with spinach & mushrooms. I think I drooled on the glass partition.



As I sat down to eat it, the calzone turned out to be stuffed full of Italian sausage. As much as it would've been really tasty, it wasn't what I wanted or what I was craving. I walked back over to the pizza counter, careful not to slip where I previously drooled and switched it out for two slices of veggie pizza.


If you're wondering where the other slice is, I ate it on the drive home. I was hongry. And pizza + soup = bliss.

I am experiencing some food baby pressure right now, but it shall pass. I think I'm also experience the warning signs of another type of visitor. I hate to be crude but let's just say it rhymes with schmenstrual cycle.

It's so crazy how fast things change sometimes. One day you were 9 and the next, boom, you're in the double digits and will never get to go back. Here in New Orleans, I can wake up to a torrential downpour and 10 minutes later it's like the sunniest day we've ever had.

Fortunately, with this cleanse, the change can be as drastic or subtle as you like -- going into it and coming out of it. Like I mentioned many days back, I didn't just wake up one morning and cut out all of the Big 5 at once. I did have a chance to ease into it and that helped tremendously to curb the desire to rip cake out of other people's hands and shove it in my mouth.

Tomorrow, there's another big change happening in my life. For many, many frustrating months now I have been house shopping. It's so crazy to me that I can be in this one phase for almost a year, but after a few emails and signatures [and my entire financial future on the line] and a notary stamp, you're in this completely different arena of life. I'm definitely not close to sitting down for the closing yet, but signing a contract is huge for me.

Could be my future abode!

I'm nervous, scared, excited, anxious and any other adjective you can describe someone who is over-analyzing and is feeling sick and on the verge of tears. Would that be a mental case?


This past Sunday, our church had a service led by the high school and college students. Four of them talked about the story of Jesus telling his disciples not to worry.

Jesus: Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes.

Katholomew: But what about buying a home and all the technical things involved like home inspections, surveys, points, mortgage lenders, down payments, closing fees... What would you do, Jesus?

Jesus: Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

Katholomew: You're right. Do you know what you're wearing tomorrow?

Jesus: Skinny jeans and TOMS.

Your prayers and positive thoughts and energy are always appreciated, and not just for me but for everyone experiencing life changes and facing big decisions.

If this deal goes through, you're invited to come over and watch movies on my 15-inch laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment