Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day 13: How do you feel today?

I love musicals. I actually wrote a college application essay on how I wanted my life to be a musical and what it would be like. I didn't get into that school.

Here is one of my favorite scenes from the hit Broadway Musical Rent:



I used to have a boss named Mark and in my mind I would always sing, "Maaark, Maark, I'm Mark!"

What I actually do sing aloud to people is, "How do you feel today?" I know it's a little bit annoying, but it's just so catchy. Isn't that how musicals work?

Why do we need to ask ourselves how we feel? Shouldn't we already know? I mean, I am living in my own body and everything seems to be connected and functioning. For now, at least.

At tonight's weekly meeting with my volunteers, we discussed one of the many avenues we can walk in our journey of discernment. Our reading suggests we ask ourselves,
"What is my body telling me?" Our bodies are "fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 129:14) by God with their own hidden wisdom. For some of us, our bodies signal the health or toxicity of a path we are taking. A pain in the back may herald injury to our spirit. A knot in the stomach can speak of still greater constrictions in the soul. Conversely, the unexpected surge of energy, the sudden return of lightness in our stride, may speak the loudest yes! we will hear to our puzzling over whether to move in a particular direction.
You would think your mind is the highest source of wisdom and what you should follow when it comes to decision-making. And there are times we feel its best to follow our emotions. Sometimes that really doesn't work out for me.

So what about following what our bodies tell us?

Like the times you're in a creepy alley and all the hairs on your neck stand up. Or when someone comes to you and says, "We need to talk," and your gut churns and you feel like you might shit your pants.

There are those times you literally can't stop smiling over something really that has happened to you. Or when Jim gives his speech at his rehearsal dinner and says,
Four years ago I was just a guy who had a crush on a girl who had a boyfriend. And I had to do the hardest thing I ever had to do, which was just to wait... For a really long time that’s all I had. Little moments with a girl who saw me as a friend. And a lot of people told me I was crazy to wait this long for a date with a girl who I worked with, but I think, even then I knew, I was waiting for my wife.
And Pam takes the mental picture. How you can cry out of joy and love for this beautiful couple?



Definitely just laughed and cried. Anywho...

So there are definitely things out there, besides this awesome cleanse, that makes us feel good and helps us feel alive, joyful and grateful for life. Multiple studies out there provide evidence that joy and happiness leads to a healthier life.

Today's Wellness Cleanse reading asks me to list 7 things that I can do this week that I love and that make me happy. Here they are:

1. Having a cup of coffee in the morning
2. Traveling around the world 
3. Having long talks with Anderson Cooper about the world and life

Okay, this one's for reals:
  1. Conversing with best friends that are far away. Good thing we're not blind, or we'd never get to see each other. 
  2. Listening to Taylor Swift. Yes, somehow I still have the emotional maturity of a 15 year old. Hence, why it's not the wisest for me to follow my emotions.
  3. Getting new clothes. Don't judge me. I haven't purchased non-Saints and non-sports apparel since... my birthday, I think. That's huge for me.
  4. Watching a rom-com, preferably starring Colin Firth. 
  5. Singing Jimmy Eat World at the top of my lungs while driving around town
  6. Taking a few minutes to reflect on how blessed I truly am
  7. Spending time with awesome friends and making them laugh (at me)
What are some things you love that you can incorporate into your day this week?

The next time I see you, I will sing to your face, "How do you feel today?"

And I hope you respond, "Best I felt all year."

No comments:

Post a Comment