Friday, February 26, 2010

Day 9: To Jack

It's been over a week and I haven't attempted to eat the flesh off my own arm out of sheer hunger and lack of red meat. Today I made a smoothie. You should be really impressed because I honestly cannot recall the last time I have used a blender for something other than making margaritas. So yes, at times it's been a challenge to be on this cleanse, especially when I walk into work today and there are petit fours, fudge brownies and girl scout cookies floating around the office.


 
Petit fours: tiny squares of scrumptious cake and icing


An aspect of this cleanse is the letting go of habits and comfort zones. Being compelled to and actually following through on making that one smoothie means, ladies and gentlemen, I am maturing! Finally! I'm serious. I've always been too lazy to pull out the blender and gather the necessary ingredients needed to make one. I used to just mix my protein powder with water and drink it all lumpy. The lumps will actually break up as I drink it and release clumps of dry powder into my mouth. Delicious. Or sometimes I'll actually go to Smoothie King, but when I end up paying $6 for it, I realize I could've just had dinner instead. 


  

  
  
 
 3 easy steps! (The 4th hard step is the cleaning.)

People think I'm ridiculous for choosing to do this cleanse. For choosing to create an inconvenience for myself and others and to challenge myself to eat and live in a way that it not the norm for me. 

Today I was reminded that there are times when you don't have the freedom to choose, but it happens to you. When Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, lives and homes were literally displaced. The good folks here no longer had access to what made up their everyday lives: homes, jobs, family, friends, bars and Burger Orleans.

Today I had the pleasure of meeting Jack. Just yesterday, Project Homecoming started putting volunteers to work on his house. In the past 4 and a half years, he and his wife have been victims of contractor's fraud not once but twice. Unfortunately, this is too often the case with the homeowners we work with. Jack is also currently going through chemotherapy. 

When huge catastrophes strike your life in the form of a hurricane or cancer, you start to realize and recognize the many things you depend on that you may not have noticed before. But like this great city, Jack hasn't lost hope. Each day as volunteers from all over the country come to help rebuild this home, Jack knows he is one day closer to having a home that will be in better shape than before the storm. He deserves it. 

  

  


As we learn to let go of things in our lives, whether or not it is by choice, we always have the opportunity to rebuild better and stronger. 

For Jack, I hope the physical rebuilding of his home gives him the knowledge that the same is possible for his body and his health. 

For me, I am a lucky girl to be able to give up things so freely when there are still good people out there still waiting to get back what's been taken away. 


  
 
"So tonight you better stop and rebuild all your ruins, 
because peace and trust can win the day 
despite of all your losing." 
- led zeppelin 

No comments:

Post a Comment