Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 6: I need a drank.

Ironic that on the day of the cleanse focused on abstaining from alcohol, I could really use a drink. While my wet hair was still wrapped in its towel, my phone rang. It was Monday calling to tell me she hates me. It was really my dad calling to tell me I had a flat tire.

Why hello, Monday. Must you be such a bitch?

I had an important meeting to get to, so I put some air in it to hold me over a few hours. The meeting turned out to be one of those times I wanted to revert to being a child and just cry to drown out what's really going on. The advisory board that oversees the volunteer program I work for needed to discuss the viability of our program. The bottom line was we had no idea where we would get the money to fund our program after this year. This went on for two hours. We didn't even get to talk about my Amazing Race application ($1,000,000 is more than enough!) and the help I need to make my submission video. Maybe I'll put it on the next meeting's agenda.

After that, I took my car to get serviced. I was a few (thousand) miles past due for an oil change and tire rotation, so I added that to my service order. Of course the type of puncture in my tire is irreparable. There goes another $75 dollars. And I probably paid too much for all of this, because I am a girl and ignorant of anything that isn't related to food, clothing and stationary.

An hour and a half later, my day is back on track. I have 3 hours before my next meeting. As I merged onto the interstate, this insanely large red triangle with an exclamation point appears on my dashboard and my car is beeping at me. I'm driving a Toyota, so at this point anything can happen. So I take the approaching exit and pull onto the first side street I can. My car completely stalls.


After a few phone calls and just a couple of tears (I'm serious. I really had to suck it up and pull myself together, because my meeting is now an hour away!), my car had to be towed.


Another two-hour meeting later, I get dropped off at home. Now can I have a drink? Even you probably needed a drink to just get through my story. Oh right, I'm on this stupid cleanse. Sure some Celestial Seasoning chamomile tea will do. It's nothing like my usual mug of red wine, but absence does make the heart grow fonder.

I guess given the past few weeks we've had here in New Orleans celebrating the Saints winning the Super Bowl (Who Dat!), I could use a little detox.

It's not breaking news that alcohol has many affects on the body. Some good, some bad. Just read textsfromlastnight.com and you can decide for yourself.

In the next few weeks, it'll be interesting to see what it's like to go out with my friends while abstaining from alcohol. I guess I should confess that some of my poor decision-making doesn't stem from my drinking. It's just always much easier to cover up for my innately stupid self by blaming it on the a-a-a-a-alchohol.



P.S. Does anyone need a DD? Oh wait, I don't have a car. fml

No comments:

Post a Comment