Friday, February 26, 2010

Day 10: Jamie Oliver brings Good News!

What did you eat for lunch when you were in high school? 

I know some of your parents packed your lunches. Remember how obsessed people were with Lunchables? That little round pizza with red sauce that you got to spread with a red plastic stick. Yummy!


 Well, my parents liked to sleep in. So they never made my lunch. Even when I had a field trip to go on that required a bagged lunch, they would just buy one one of those pre-made wet sandwiches that comes in the clear, triangular container and call it a day.



By the time I got to high school, imagine how impressed I was when it was somehow "cool" to actually buy the school lunch. We would seriously race out of class (sometimes we'd get out of C4 early) so that we can be first in line. Now that I'm thinking about it, $1.75 is quite the steal for Taco Tuesday, Fried Chicken Wednesday or Friday's grilled cheese and gumbo. If only I still had my ID and school uniform, I could stop by for some cheap lunches. 

A friend of mine sent this video to me of Jamie Oliver presenting his TED wish:
"I wish for everyone to help create a strong, sustainable movement to educate every child about food, inspire families to cook again and empower people everywhere to fight obesity."
If you have time, I highly recommend watching this compelling presentation:





A few weeks ago I went to a talk about the
Slow Food movement. Essentially, our culture has completely altered our lifestyle to accommodate for our easy access to fast food. Since we're no longer needed to spend that time preparing food, we can work longer and commit our time elsewhere. For those students lucky enough to be able to leave campus for lunch. Where did you end up going? Certainly not to your garden to pick out your fresh produce and toss together a lovely spring mix salad. (Maybe just my friend Lori, because she grew up on a farm.)

One of the problems I had with the Slow Food talk I attended was that we brought the fact that socio-economic status definitely affects households' access to good quality meats and produce but there was no discussion of how we can make it possible for everyone to have equal access to not only quality foods but to education. 

Living in New Orleans, I do realize that first we need to have just plain good ol' education for everyone. So, one thing at a time. 

But Jamie Oliver doesn't just bring up some very valid arguments but also brings valid responses and ways that we can help fight the epidemic of obesity and ignorance. 

This week, I had to think about different scripture passages that have changed my life. When I was preparing to go to Croatia to spend the summer talking about Jesus and why I love him, I was so moved by Romans 10:

"And how are they to hear without someone to proclaim him? And how are they to proclaim him unless they are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'"
Maybe I am making a stretch with this verse. But how will people know if there is no one to advocate for positive social change? 


Jamie Oliver must have some beautiful feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment